Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sewing...

Are you ready to learn with me? I have decided that I would like to make Leanna some pretty dresses and skirts. (Eventually hoping to start sewing little boys clothes too they are just harder.) So that is going to be frequenting my blog now as well. I will explain terms and show you ideas and the steps from turning as pretty peice of fabric into a pretty dress or skirt.

I am even going to attempt to make Leanna's Easter dress this year. Crazy I know. She was so excited though. Her aunt was at the house on Saturday and she showed "M" her "dress", her aunt was confused holding the fabrics I had picked out... Leanna replied "Well it will be when momma sews it", she said. She gets it will take some time but she is excited that it is something I am making for her.

This weekend on Saturday was the day I chose to go to shopping. I asked my Grandma to go with me. (She is an expert seamstress.) So we spent the day shopping and looking for patterns and fabrics (we shopped to look for the cheaper ones). It was a lovely time. She even treated me to lunch it was sooo nice. I am pretty impressed with the fabrics I got. I have enough fabric (provided no mistakes) to make at least one dress, plus a shirt/outfit/skirt as well for $30.24. So if I manage to make at least two items with each piece of fabric I have I will have done 6 pieces of clothing for about $5 a piece. You all know that a dress is rarely that on clearance.



The above picture is what I am hoping will be Leanna's Easter dress. It is pink with white polka dots and the picture (though hard to see) of the dress the little girls are wearing is the pattern I am using.


These are the fabrics I purchased this weekend. A pink polka dot, a black with teeny tiny white polka dots (sorry my camera doesn't do detail very well) and a pretty light blue with dark blue and white flowers and paisley type prints on it as well.

So that is the beginning. More to come as I begin to piece together some pretty things.

2 comments:

Sarah G said...

AWESOME!!! I LOVE the fabrics you picked. The items you make I'm sure are going to beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished projects. :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I like the stuff you picked out!

My mom used to make our easter dresses and our christmas pajamas. I'm sure Leanna will be so proud to wear a dress you made!