Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Are we really one of the few?

"My husband and I have never considered divorce... murder sometimes, but never divorce."
- Joyce Brothers

5 years.

5 years has passed since I looked into the gorgeous brown eyes of a young man of 20 and told him I would love him for the rest of my life.

Josh and I totally missed our anniversary again this year. It IS important to us but I guess when life throws 2 kids and 2 full time jobs and a "NICE" hospital stay and the wedding of a sibling you tend to forget.

It has been a fun five years and a short five years and at the same time it has been a ridiculously HARD five years and a LOOOONNNNGGG five years. Isn't it amazing how it can feel like so many things all wrapped into one big giant ball of AHHHH.

We were sad to find out that out of all the couples that got married "around" the same time as us, a couple before a couple after etc. Only like 4 of those couple (out of 10) are still together. Two or three of those couples are probably reading this blog and the other we haven't seen or spoke to in almost 2 years and are assuming.

I guess I just missed the train on where it became so easy to stop loving someone. I missed the "easy out" way of thinking I suppose. I love Josh more than the world MOST of the time but there are those rare occasions where we grate on each others nerves and want to walk away...... for a few moments ... not forever.

My heart breaks for those couples who have already walked away. Sadly one couple made it one year and that was it. People say it is age, maturity or the infamous "these things happen". How sad. How truly sad.

That is why I love that quote above. Murder sure! Divorce never! He is stuck with me. Or at least until I off him.

Now I jest. I make light of what I don't understand and what I can't fix. In all honesty it is a hard and hurtful and ugly truth. To be honest I am sad. To be honest I am happy. Happy that it has been hard work. Happy that Josh feels the same that I do that our love is worth that hard work. Thankful that Josh is willing to walk away and walk right back. Here's to another 5 years. To the couples that I speak of my heart breaks for you it truly does. For the couples I know are reading this Happy 5 or almost 5 years and congratulations sadly/gladly we are truly one of the few.

No comments: